Monday, 2 February 2009

Style Rules

Shamelessly stolen from my magazine (heavily edited and commented on by me!) - 10 top tips for a "fashion audit"

1. Spend more on less

They say you never leave Primark with a small bag, and if you spend more you'll think more about your purchases and have more items in your wardrobe that you will actually wear, and will keep in the long term.

2. Update your Basics

Simple things like keeping up with t-shirt trends, and not just always buying bootleg jeans, can keep you up-to-date and "on trend".

3. Nail the Rain

Now this one really rang true for me, and will be my resolution for the warmer months! We live in the UK, we know we're going to be rained on. "not to have a knock-out rainy day look is negligent". They have a point - my standard black peter-storm, over the head kagoul just doesn't cut it in any kind of style stakes! This summer I'm thinking a smart, bright trench-coat is the way to go, and I will be keeping my eyes open. Umbrellas are also important, and I'm still loving my tropical fish umbrella from Next! (although I saw this FANTASTIC chocolate umbrella in chocolat 'ere over the weekend!)

4. Stay Looking Pulled Together when Everything is Falling Apart

Basic have a standard "look" you can fall back on, even on the most hectic day. Apparently Kate Moss swears by "a jean, a jacket and sunglasses" - sunglasses may work for her, but frankly I think I'd look a bit of a muppet at the school gate with sunglasses on, unless it was sunny of course!

5. Choose Natural

Basically choose natural fibres rather than the cheap synthetics of our teenage years.

6. Try a New Shape

Another one I will definitely be trying - they suggest everytime you hit a changing room to take something in with you that you think you will hate. Avoids getting stuck into a style rut, and might give you a giggle into the bargain ;-)

7. Fall in Love with Flats

I know I always feel far smarter in heels, and if I wear flats to work I feel somewhat casual, however smart the rest of my outfit. But they've got to be worth a look, yes? (although I seriously need to sort out trouser length - I buy "long" as "regular is too short, but the long's are generally just a bit too long to be worn with flats, unless I want to get that teenage "worn out at the heel" look).

8. Get Colourful

As I alluded to in my previous post, colour is good. This article suggests that "nothing will freshen up your look faster than a kick of colour".

9. Go to the Pros

They suggest, if you're struggling to find your style, going to a personal shopper. I had a friend who did this recently, and she was really happy. They are generally free, and it sounds quite fun to me!

10. Have Some Fun!

Remember fashion is fun! Don't slavishly follow fashion, don't get het up if you're not bang on trend - find your own style and enjoy fashion :-)

No comments: