Wednesday, 22 July 2009

Boots Smooth Skin - Review 1

Being from Italian heritage, and rather hirsute of the the leg, my Mum, my sister and I decided to club together and invest in the Boots Smooth Skin Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) permanent hair reduction system.

I have decided to review it here as I go along. Hope you don't mind!

Today I have given it it's first outing, and have done the bottom half of my legs.

So then, out of the box it is easy to operate - the instructions are clear, if not a little scary with details of who shouldn't use it, when not to use, what might happen if you do use it! Having read them thoroughly and ascertained that I should be quite safe, I did a test patch a week ago. No adverse reactions, thankfully!

Today Mum took the girls off my hands for a couple of hours, so I decided to bite the bullet and make a start!

As previously mentioned, I decided to start with my lower legs. They are what give me the most bother, I have dark brown hair, which I need to shave at least every other day to keep smooth. I got an epilady for Christmas, which promised "up to 4 weeks smoothness", but in reality I was lucky to get to 4 days!

This afternoon I spent an hour - first covering my legs with the goo, then going up and down them with the light. It is a slow process, and it did take me an hour to do 2 legs up to the knees, but it was relatively pain free (just a slight tingling sensation with each light pulse, and a warm feeling). It takes me an hour to properly epilady to the same point, so I wasn't concerned, particularly as this promises "permanent hair removal".

The only problem I have now is that, having spent an hour doing them, I still have hairy legs, and I can't quite ascertain how long I need to wait until I shave or epilady! Oh well, trousers it is!

I am expecting to have to undertake at least 12 treatments to get hair free legs, but in my mind that is 12 hours of my time and £90 well spent :-) (the machine is currently on offer at £249, and Mum gets her OAP discount!)

I will report back when I have news....


Edited to add the link to my final review here! Please read before buying one of this machines!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought you were supposed to shave the area first before using the smooth skin on. So the light beam will reach into the folicle. From what I read the light reacts to the darker part being either hair or skin.