Wednesday, 16 December 2009

16th December - Black and Navy? I remain unconvinced!

Navy blue is one of "my colours", and it's a colour I used to wear a lot of - I used to always buy shoes in black and navy, and had navy trousers and skirts which I wore all the time. Currently navy is not so in vogue, and I've not seen navy shoes/trousers/skirts in the shops for a while (admittedly I've not looked very hard!).

I;ve always been brought up to think that wearing navy and black together makes you look like a bruise, so have never, ever done it before, but when I saw shoegal wearing a black and navy outfit a week or so ago, then I saw a navy jumper in Dorothy Perkins, I decided to give it a whirl.

I'm afraid to say I remain unconvinced - I think my lovely navy jumper will be kept for wearing with my jeans.

What do you think though? Black and Navy - yay or nay?

3 comments:

cindy kay said...

Hm. I can't quite put my finger on why this outfit doesn't look super. I don't think the problem is necessarily with the combination of black and navy. After all, a black shirt with dark blue jeans looks nice, IMO.

Here's my theory: I think the outfit doesn't work with that color of camisole you're wearing. (Is it aqua?) I would try wearing a black camisole, with maybe a black belt over the blue top, and perhaps a scarf in shades of navy, black, and whatever bright color you want for a contrast (or maybe a bright necklace or brooch?)

I don't know. What do you think?

SHOEGAL said...

I agree with Cindy - a black top under the navy sweater, or navy shoes would make this outfit work. You need to look like you're doing black & navy deliberately, not that you've just put on the wrong colour by mistake.

Tat said...

Thanks for the comments ladies :-)

I think I will just stick to my "never wear black and navy together" rule though - far easier ;-)